Onion & Olive Oil Ice Cream by Metti una sera a cena
Berlin based Italian supper club Metti una sera a cena is a great destination for fans of Italian cuisine who are tired of the often annoyingly uninspired creations that get served in restaurants. Chiara and Marco, the hosts, are 2 young visual artists from Venice who spend a good part of their creative energy in the kitchen. Without feeling tempted by the frequently changing culinary hypes, they stay fully true to their home country, its products and preparation methods whilst at the same time exploring new facettes in terms of tastes, textures, combinations and visual presentations. Their style ranges between playful interpretations of the Italian classics and dishes that many would call highly experimental.
The onion & olive oil ice cream clearly belongs to the category ‘eating is believing’, just trust the chefs and try it out, you won’t be disappointed! This dish is absolutely perfect for an unusual aperitif, appetizer or intermediate course, served with a smoked swordfish carpaccio or a good raw ham.
Ingredients (serves 12 people):
300 g white onions (finely chopped)
250 g cream
350 g milk
80 g extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
- Fry the onions at medium temperature in a pan with butter and 40g olive oil; add water and sugar until candied.
- Once ready, add the milk and cook until tender.
- Turn off the fire and add the cream, 40g olive oil left, salt and pepper and blend it mixing well all ingredients.
- Put the mixture to the fridge for 12 hours or until it is very cold, then put it into an ice cream maker. If you don’t have an ice maker, put the mixture into the freezer and stir it every 30 minutes or so until you get the right consistency.
- Form small dumplings and drizzle them with some drops of good olive oil on the top.
- Best serve with smoked swordfish, finely sliced, or thin slices of raw ham.
Curious for more about Metti una sera a cena? Here is an article that describes the unusual approach of Chiara’s and Marco’s artistic supper club.