Cucurbitas more Alexandrino – by Zum röhrenden Hirsch
Wanna impress your friends with an Ancient Roman recipe? Here you go: Courgettes Alexandria Style, a dish that is almost 2000 years old. Reading through the mix of ingredients you might not believe this will ever work out fine. I haven’t tried myself, but was told by Ms Deer that it tastes awesome, and that her supper club guests at Zum röhrenden Hirsch couldn’t get enough of these courgettes.
Asa Foetida (if available, otherwise leave away)
Fish sauce (if available, if not just salt will do it)
White wine vinegar
Honey (should be liquid)
- Cut the courgettes longwise in half, precook them in water, let drain, sprinkle with salt and place in a frying pan
- Poor some white wine into a pot and let boil in slightly
- Finely chop the dates and the mint leaves
- Put pepper, caraway, coriander seeds in a mortar and crush
- Mix the chopped dates well with the mint leaves, the other spices and the pine nuts, add a tiny little pinch of asa foetida (can be left away) and some fish sauce (or just salt), white wine vinegar, the reduced white wine, liquid honey and olive oil.
- Add the sauce to the courgettes in the pan and boil up briefly
- Season with pepper and serve hot